The Basics of Roulette
When you look at a roulette table for the first time, it may seem very confusing. Actually, it is quite simple. The table is divided into sections, and each section represents a different betting area. At the top, there are roulette numbers from 0 to 36 (or 37). This section is the most important (and awarding) betting area. If you bet on one of these numbers, say 12, you are actually betting on that the ball will stop in the 12th section of the roulette wheel. This betting type is called the “inside bets”. Since the odds are low, inside bets have the biggest payouts (36 to 1).
The rest of the table offers different betting options, which are called “outside bets”. As we mentioned above, you bet on four different areas:
- 1st 12 / 2nd 12 / 3rd 12: You are betting on which range the ball will land on. For example, betting on 1st 12 means the ball will land anywhere on the first twelve numbers, 1 to 12. Pays 2 to 1.
- 1 to 18 / 19 to 36: Same as above. You are betting on a range, but the range is wider this time. Pays 1 to 1.
- Red / Black: You are betting on the color of the section which the ball will land on, not the numerical value. Pays 1 to 1.
- Odd / Even: You are betting on whether the landing number will be an odd or an even number. Pays 1 to 1.
There are other betting types too, such as Street (any three numbers horizontal) and Corner (any four adjoining numbers in a block) but the basic rules and betting systems of the roulette are these.
Roulette is a game that can be played with a strategy and not based on complete luck. Although, roulette strategies are harder to use than the card game strategies, for example.
Types of Roulette Games
There are four main types of roulette games and these are:
- American Roulette: The wheel has an extra number in the American roulette: 00. The “zero section” on the wheel is the house pay; if the ball lands on 0, croupier sweep all the money on the table and the house wins. When roulette game first introduced to the US, casinos thought that one 0 section is not enough – players were winning more than often. They decided to add “00” section on to the wheel because of this, to increase the frequency of house winnings. All other rules are the same, the only difference is that extra section on the wheel.
- European Roulette: The original form of roulette. The wheel has only one 0 section on it.
- French Roulette: Same as the European roulette, but a person called “stickman” announces the winner and the payout after each spin, so this form has a much slower gameplay.
- Online Roulette : Can be American or European roulette. You can play this form of roulette games with your computer, mobile phone or tablet PC. Mostly consists of free roulette games and they are a good alternative if you want to play roulette online for fun. In online casino websites, you can play these games with real money too.
How to Play Roulette
Roulette is probably the most popular casino game of all after poker and slot machines. It is developed in the 17th century and being played by the same rules for over 250 years. Many mathematicians showed interest to the famous wheel of roulette and calculated odds of winning. They developed some strategies in the process too – in other words, roulette is not a complete game of luck, you can actively increase your winning chances by following some systems. Whether they are effective or not is another matter, which we will discuss in depth below.
Roulette odds are based on mathematical principles, which are designed to increase the winning odds of the house. In other words, this is a game developed for casinos to make money; so it is not that easy to win big payouts. There are four different roulette bet options: You can bet on a specific number, a color, a range of numbers and/or whether the outcome will be an odd or even number. Each option has a different roulette payout, based on the odds of that outcome. Let’s take a closer look at roulette strategies and payouts of these options.
Roulette Strategy and Tactics
There are lots of roulette strategies and tactics, but not all of them are successful. Casinos change the design of the wheel on a constant basis to prevent the usage of these tactics. For example, the pocket sections of the wheel were much wider before 1986. A professional gambler named Billy Walters used a wheel-section betting system based on this range and won 3.8 million dollars in a single night. After this, all casinos switched to a new design and started to use “low-profile wheels”, which have narrow pockets. It is still possible to use simple tactics and strategies in roulette, but getting big payouts by using these are near impossible. The most known strategies are:
- Martingale System: This strategy is very old and very simple. It is based on the “heads/tails” game and requires only betting on red or black sections. The idea looks very convincing at first look: the possibility of winning by betting on red or black is %50, and if you play long enough, you will win sooner or later. To use this strategy, you must always bet on the same color and increase your wager with each spin. In theory, when you win, you will cover all your losses and make a profit. In reality, this is a very dangerous idea and results in big losses. The idea of “you are going to win sooner or later” is completely psychological and will result in bankruptcy of the player over the long run. Mathematical analyses show that you can never win big enough to cover your losses.
- Labouchère System: The basic principles of this system are as same as the Martingale, you bet only on red or black. But you don’t raise your bet after each spin until you win; instead, you are using a series of numbers in a line to determine your bet amount. Basically, you add the numbers at the front and end of the line to determine what your next bet will be. When you win, you cross out the numbers and start to work on the short line. When you lose, you add your previous bet to the end of the line and start to work on the long line. Sounds complex and it really is, because in the long run, this system results in heavier losses than the Martingale system.
- D’alembert System: This system is developed by a mathematician by the same name, and it really results with winnings in the long run. The only problem is, these will be very small amounts and in the long run, you won’t make any profit. D’alembert developed this system to prevent big losses and the bankruptcy of the player, and it does exactly that. Basically, you only make outside bets and after each loss, you add one unit for your next bet. When you win, one unit is deducted from your next bet. For example, if you start by betting 1 unit and win, your next bet will be 2 units. If you lose, it goes back to 1 unit again.
- Paroli System: The oldest system of them all, developed for card games originally. The system relies on the idea of “you will win sooner or later” and similar to D’alembert. You can bet only on red/black or odd/even outcomes. Basically, you keep betting the same amount for the same section each and every time, until you win. After you win, you add one unit for your next bet. You keep doing this until you get three consecutive winnings. If you lose, you just deduct your bet amount for the next spin. This system works in the short run, but just when you start to make a profit, all odds become almost negative. To give an example, winning more than 4 units using this strategy has a %2.7 chance of happening.
- Oscar’s Grind System: Another system based on D’alembert. It is simple enough and requires you to bet only on red/black or even/odd. You keep betting the same amount until you win. When you win, you increase the amount by one unit. When you lose, you don’t deduct anything and keep betting the same amount you just won. If you manage to win four times, you go back to betting one unit only, and repeat the whole process. Unfortunately, the outcome is as same as the Paroli system: doesn’t work in the long run.
Roulette Bets and Odds
As we mentioned above, there are five different sections on a roulette table that you can bet on. Each one has a different payout and roulette bonus payments are based on the probability of winnings. If you bet on a specific number, this is called an “inside bet” and pays the most, because the odds are very low. All other bet types are called “outside bets”. These are the sections, payouts and odds of the sections you can bet on:
||Odds Against Winning
|Any single number
||35 to 1
||36 to 1
||1 to 1
||19 to 18
||1 to 1
||19 to 18
|1st, 2nd, 3rd dozens
||2 to 1
||25 to 12
|1 to 18 / 19 to 36
||1 to 1
||19 to 18
How to Play Live Dealer Roulette
Live Roulette often called as “live dealer roulette”, this is a special form of roulette which can be played in online casinos. You connect to a real roulette table and a real croupier using your computer/mobile device and play the game like you are in a real casino. Rules are the same and you are still playing with other people against a real croupier, you just do that from anywhere you want.
How to Win at Roulette
As you can see, there are no tactics that guarantee to win with each and every spin. The best way to practice and start to win is to play roulette for real money.
You can raise your chances of winning by following simple rules, but it is almost impossible to win big payouts. The best thing you can do is lowering your losses, which is preferable instead of going bankruptcy. Roulette is a casino game after all and like any other casino game, it is designed to give an advantage to the house in the long run. In other words; just play, have fun and never bet big amounts you can’t afford to lose – these are the only strategies you need.
Play Roulette for Fun
Roulette is one of the most exciting casino games and it’s easy to get hooked on a thrill it provides. But what if you want to relive the fantastic moments you spent playing in a casino, but visiting one is completely out of the question right now? Well, play roulette for fun online, of course! Games2Cool has the biggest collection of roulette games available online, all gathered here for your entertainment and relaxation.
If you can’t get to a land-based casino – play roulette online, it’s the next best thing! And Games2Cool will make sure that your experience is flawless. We have hand-picked all the best applications from the famous developers, so that you can always find one that looks “just right” to you.
In case you’re just starting out and aren’t sure of your skills yet – play free roulette for fun and learn in the process! Because you’re not risking anything, the knowledge comes more naturally without any added stress! If you just have a couple of minutes to spare or want to relax for hours to end, Games2Cool will make sure you get what you need.
All of our roulette game are available to play instantly – just click on a game and it loads up straight in your browser. No downloads here and you don’t even have to sign up! We’re all about free entertainment, so you always get fully functional versions and we’ll never ask even for a penny in return. Just a browser and an internet connection – and you’re ready to enjoy the best games of your life!
If you feel like playing online roulette in practice mode just isn’t for you anymore, or perhaps you’re curious where you could safely play roulette for real money should the need arise, always trust Games2Cool to rush to your aid! Under each game we list several reputable online casinos that have it on offer, so you can seamlessly transition between playing for fun and winning for real! And all the freshest online casino bonuses, including roulette specials, are at your disposal too!
Play Roulette No Download
The game of Roulette is a classic staple of casino entertainment, and can be a perfect getaway when you need a short break and just want to test your luck and intuition. So when you’re in the mood to enjoy the action of spinning wheels and fast-paced bets, the last thing you want to do is sit around and wait for a heavy application to download and install – and then it will further pester you for your personal details!
Well, we here at Games2Cool won’t stand for that. We offer a complete collection of free online roulette, no download required. We have gathered all the best applications from the main developers on the market, so that when you feel like testing your latest strategy, you can easily enjoy some free roulette, no download needed.
European or American roulette, obscure variations, novelty graphics or incredibly realistic 3D settings – whatever you may prefer, we have it. And all of our applications are available instantly, straight in your browser, so you can play free roulette games with no download, no registration, no deposit and no hassle. They’re compatible with most platforms, so you can also gamble on your mobile devices – now you don’t even need a computer anymore! Wherever there’s an internet connection, there can be fun and games!
Our team also works tirelessly to bring you all the newest and the freshest free roulette online, no download needed on your part. The developers are constantly working on perfecting their software, adding new interesting features, making the graphics and animations smoother, adding handy tutorials and tips. There are even some applications that support real live multiplayer, so you can enjoy your free roulette games with friends or meet gamblers from all around the world! There’s no need to sign up with an online casino to enjoy a quick spin of the roulette wheel anymore – the collection here at Games2Cool is truly unrivalled, plus we care about our visitors! Enjoy free roulette all you wish, no need to download – just click “play” and go! Unless you want to play real money roulette.